- Got a good TA?
Nominate them to receive the Math Department's Teaching Assistant
- Congratulations to Joseph Woodworth and Jason Wong! Joseph has been
awarded a 2011 National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate
Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) Fellowship, and Jason has been
appointed as one of NOAA's 2011 Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholars.
- In Winter 2010, the Mathematics and Computer Science departments
launched a new, 1-credit, online
Introduction to MATLAB course, to help prepare students for
other courses that use MATLAB (in particular, in the
Math courses 240, 241, 246, 461). Now offered as
MATH/CMSC 206, this course will run in the first weeks of each
semester starting Spring 2011.
- In Winter 2010, the Mathematics Department launched a new,
Condensed Introduction to Analysis, a condensed and intensive
preparation for MATH 410.
was the 2009 winner of the
John Smith Award for Distinguished Teaching, from the
Maryland/DC/Viriginia section of the
Mathematical Association of American.
- MATH MAJORS:
Check out the
undergraduate research opportunities and
- MATH CLUB: the MATH
CLUB is sponsoring activities of mathematical interest to majors
and nonmajors alike. All are welcome, check it out.
- PME: Pi Mu Epsilon, Inc (PME),
is the National Mathematics Honorary Society. At UMCP, PME is run by the
Math Club. If you are interested in participating in PME, please visit: PME.
- Women in Math:
Women in Math (WIM)
is a UMCP organization dedicated to serving women mathematicians
- MINORS: The Mathematics Department
in Mathematics, Statistics, and Actuarial Mathematics.
- ACTUARIAL ADVISING:
Useful information and FAQs
for those who are interested in becoming an actuary.
- Maryland's approach to Developmental Mathematics was featured in this article in
- Maryland Professor Jim Fey gave a talk to the
Mathematical Association of America on how to improve mathematics